Location & History : Cwmparc
The Rhondda has two valleys, the Rhondda Fach (meaning “small Rhondda”) and the Rhondda Fawr (“big Rhondda”). Cwmparc is a cul-de-sac valley off Treorchy in the upper Rhondda Fawr.
Cwmparc came into being with the sinking of two huge pits - the Parc Colliery (1865) and the Dare Colliery (1870). The pits closed in 1966 and their legacy is the Parc & Dare Institute situated bizarrely, in Treorchy, and built via a penny-a-week deduction from the miners’ wages.
Pupils from the primary school feed into nearby Treorchy Comprehensive School (age range 11-18) which has by far, the best record of the six comps in Rhondda.
There are a few small shops and virtually no businesses are based in Cwmparc.
Like everywhere else in Rhondda, Cwmparc was massively touched by the Great Welsh Revival 1904/06. The village would have had more than a dozen chapels, although there are only four places of worship in the village now and the average congregation will be less than ten! Some have lost their chapel building and meet in other rooms which will accommodate them.
There is no industry at all available and there are few shops in the village. There are 2 public houses and one Workingmens Club, also a community centre that seems to have lost its identity. The local school is really the driving force within the village and takes on many issues that pertain to the life of the village.
Number of Streets in Village
Number of Homes in Village
Population of Village
Churches in Village
St. George’s Church (Anglican)
Gospel Hall (Brethren)
Capel y Parc (Methodist)
Salem Welsh Baptist (Welsh)
Schools in Village
Parc Primary School
Headteacher: Joy Lewis